BPL Plasma - Our Blog


Woman drinking water.

Preparing for your plasma donation – with water

January 04, 2023

Donating plasma is a fantastic way to give back and get paid.  Although the donation process takes about 90 minutes, there is an easy way to speed up the process – HYDRATE!  If you are more hydrated, your veins will be easier to find, and your blood will flow more easily. The American Red Cross suggests drinking an extra 16 ounces of water before and after your donation —even if you don‘t feel thirsty.1

Although 80% of your daily water intake usually comes from beverages, the other 20% usually comes from foods.2 Some foods that are high in water content are listed below:

  • Cucumber
  • Tomatoes
  • Lettuce
  • Apples
  • Celery
  • Watermelon 
  • Grapefruit 
  • Peaches
  • Berries
  • Zucchini

For additional tips for a healthy donation, please visit your local BPL Plasma center and ask a team member for more information.


1 upstate.edu: ”Preparing for your blood donation – with water” 

2 webmd.com: “Foods High in Water”